Reading an anthology of twelve holiday romances is the best way to begin Christmas break. My True Love Gave to Me edited by Stephanie Perkins will make you smile, laugh, and swoon whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, or New Years. Here are my thoughts on each individual story!
- Midnights by Rainbow Rowell (4.5/5 stars): Rainbow Rowell is one of my favorite authors so I knew I would love her story. She definitely didn’t let me down with Midnights being full of her usual fluff and comedy. So adorable.
- The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link (2/5 stars): Sadly, I was not a fan of The Lady and the Fox and I found it confusing and strange. This was my least favorite story in the whole book… not my cup of tea!
- Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Peña (4/5 stars): This story was SO CUTE! Matt de la Peña’s writing was addicting and fast. After reading this adorable short story, I need to check out his other work!
- Polaris is Where You’ll Find Me by Jenny Han (4/5 stars): Jenny Han is another one of my favorite authors so I had high hopes for her short story. She surprised me by going away from her usual contemporary romance to writing a fantasy-esque story with the protagonist being Santa’s adopted daughter. Who doesn’t want to be Santa’s daughter, am I right? Loved this cute romance.
- It’s a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins (5/5 stars): It’s a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown was my favorite story of the whole book. Add a Christmas tree farm, a cute lumberjack boy, and a girl named Marigold together, and you get the best story EVER.
- Your Temporary Santa by David Levithan (3.5/5 stars): I’m not the biggest David Levithan fan, but Your Temporary Santa was a pleasant surprise. It was funny, cute, and creative, though the ending was quite weird for me, so I knocked the rating down a bit. Overall a fun read!
- Krampuslauf by Holly Black (3 stars): This story was SO WEIRD, but in both good and bad ways. I’m so conflicted! If you’ve read this story you know what I’m talking about…
- What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth by Gayle Forman (4.5/5 stars): I love Gayle Forman and I love this story. It was soooo hilarious and adorable! The amount of fluff in this story is unbelievable (in the best way possible).
- Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McEntire (4.5/5 stars): A new spin on the classic bad boy/good girl trope! With a hectic Nativity scene play mixed together with Civil War reenactments, and a touch of romance, this story was crazy, comedic, and lovely.
- Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White (4/5 stars): First of all, I want to live in a town called Christmas, how cool would that be? Taking place in a restaurant, Welcome To Christmas, CA will not only have your mouth watering with all the delicious holiday food mentioned but also smiling nonstop with the adorable romance and family aspects. This is a must read!
- Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter (3.5/5 stars): Girl pretends to be Icelandic exchange student, romance ensues. The idea of this story was so clever and well done. Though, I was not a fan of the twist at the end, it seemed a little too unrealistic!
- The Girl that Woke the Dreamer by Laini Taylor (2.5/5 stars): I wanted to love this story so badly, especially with it being the last story in the book; sadly, I found it confusing and boring. The pacing was quite slow and I couldn’t get into it! This was a big disappointment.
My True Love Gave to Me is a winter must-read. There are so many fantastic stories that I will reread again and again. Have you read My True Love Gave to Me? What were your favorite stories?